Wednesday 22 November 2006

Heavens, I'm tired

Not only do both Mark and I have colds but his is exacerbated by toothache – and I’m talking major pain. With no money for dental care for myself, let alone Mark (a non-EU citizen) he self-treats. Sometimes this involves actually extracting his own tooth. The pain is intense but there is nothing we can do about it at present. He’s been suffering with this one tooth for a while and last night – or, more precisely, this morning was a time of intense pain. He tried removing it, but to no avail. So, between 2.30 and 4.00 this morning I tried sitting with him. It’s amazingly frustrating. I sit there, holding his hand, watching him as he battles with the pain. I’m amazed at how quiet he is. Me, I have great difficulty coping with pain, especially tooth pain and the sight of Mark sitting stoically, subduing the intensity with his will. The only comment he ever makes is, ‘it hurt’. I feel overwhelmed and horribly helpless when I watch him.
So, I’m tired. However I had good news yesterday. Because of the impending Court case CSA are suspending Simon’s claim to Child Support. Mark’s comment was that it was about time someone supported me as opposed to Simon.
I also had a telephone call from the CAFCASS office. The man there had read my comments regarding Flavia’s allegations about Simon and his actions and was concerned. Had I contacted Social Services. I felt awfully foolish as I tried to explain that I had not because apparently no-one would believe me due to Simon’s occupation. He was shocked at the thought and begged me to contact them. To his mind the things Flavia alleged were disturbing, some of the most disturbing he had read and he was insistent that I contact Social Services. As he spoke I realized he was right. Even if no-one listened to me, at least I could say I had reported Flavia’s comments.
So, I did. I got in touch with Eastbourne Social Services and told them what Flavia has been saying. I actually heard the woman at the other end of the line take a step back when I told them Simon’s job. She quickly told me that someone would ‘phone me in the next twenty-four hours'. So, that’s that. We shall see. Mark has heard Flavia’s comments as well and will let them know what was said if they ‘phone whilst I’m in work but I doubt it. I certainly can’t see anyone taking it seriously.
Why do people think clergymen are perfect? They are men, just like all the others. Some of them are good, some are not and some are indifferent. I was asked the other day if I could give information regarding kindnesses and acts of generosity Simon had performed whilst we were married. I spent 24 hours trying to think of something. I couldn’t. It was funny, really. I kept on trying and trying – nothing. There were things he had done for others, yes, but they were all in expectation of reward. Something done for someone else merely out of kindness? Finally (and it was with a huge sense of relief) I thought of something. One thing. I knew him for 19 years before the divorce and I could only think of one thing. I laughed, but it was also rather sad.
Got home and telephoned Social Services again. They took my details, Flavia's details and Simon's. Why hadn't I reported it before. Well, answer above. I suspect it will be thought I'm a vicious ex-wife but, honestly, I'd like them just to be stories she's said for effect. The thought of something actually HAPPENING to her doesn't bear thinking about. Anyway, my opposite on the 'phone is going to discuss it with her superior and get back to me tomorrow (again). We shall see. She kept checking about his apparent habit of insisting on putting cream on her genitals himself rather than following my idea of giving her a couple of tumblers of water to drink when her urine burns. I'll keep you posted.
Wimp time in school. Tetanus jabs, I gather. I thought they were BCG but, no. Boys were going down like flies from what I heard - even claiming they couldn't write due to the trauma. Hah! Work, boy, work. I have also had to try to explain one of my quotes. I love them. Put them everywhere, even on my ceiling. One in particular has caught their attention: 'If Barbie is so popular why do you have to buy her friends?' I think it highly amusing but some of my kinds spend ages trying to make sense of it. However, since I have had many an earnest child trying to explain that dark is the absence of light (in response to my quote of, 'OK so what's the speed of dark,') I think I'm allowed some fun. Don't you?

No comments: